Top 10 New-to-Me Authors (2017 edition)


I READ FROM SO MANY NEW AUTHORS LAST YEAR! I actually rarely read from authors I’ve read before, which is exciting! It’s always a fun time discovering a new author, especially if you love them (looking at you, Charles Dickens). I’m hoping to read some more of my favourite authors next year though, as I’ve missed out on some of their newer releases WHICH IS BAD, VERY BAD (I’ll probably make a post of books by my favourite authors that I didn’t get around to last year, so lookout for that. I’ll retreat to my box of shame once it’s posted, don’t worry). 



I’ve read a lot more widely this year. I generally read predominantly YA, but this year I read TONS of DC graphic novels, nonfiction and middle-grade. OH, AND I READ A CLASSIC. GO ME! As a result, I encountered quite a few new authors who I fell in love with.

1. Charles Dickens
WHY HAVEN’T I READ HIS BOOKS BEFORE?! I absolutely love the way he writes, and I’m so excited to read more of his works! I read two Christmas stories of his over Christmas-time and I absolutely loved them. They made me smile, Marvel at the perceptive nature of Dickens and made me a little misty-eyed. They filled me with warm fuzzy feelings. I adore the way he writes. SO MUCH.

2. Laura Ruby

BONE GAP IS MY FAVOURITE BOOK EVER. I reread this book a WEEK after reading it for the first time - I’ve never done that before! I absolutely adore the way she writes. It’s lyrical and like spun gold and magic, pure and simple.



3. Rachel Caine

Again, I absolutely ADORE the way Rachel writes. There’s something so addictive and melodic about her writing style. I love the way she writes dialogue and dynamics between groups. I NEED to read the rest of the Ink and Bone series.




4. Roshani Chokshi

I love the way she writes. Her metaphors are out of this world. I’ve read a lot of books in my life, and I’ve found there are several overused metaphors and similes that feature in YA books; however, Roshani Chokshi writes so many unique, quirky sentences. It’s beautiful and so refreshing.

5. Teri Terry

I don’t know if you’ve read it, but if you haven’t, y’all need to read Contagion. Her writing is fast-paced and fluid, and her storytelling highly immersive. I’m so excited to read more books by her, because if her other books are anything like Contagion, THEN I’VE FOUND A NEW FAVOURITE.


6. Ray Bradbury

I LOVE THE WAY THIS GUY WRITES. I’ve only read Fahrenheit 451 by him, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was such an unsettling but important read, and I adored the way Bradbury phrased things.

7. Kiersten White

AND I DARKEN HAS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I’VE EVER READ. Some people might argue that it’s slow-paced, and it is, but she takes time to build up the world, build the characters and the dynamics. It’s steeped richly in history and politics and the complexities of human nature. I can’t describe how much I loved this book. Kiersten details things so beautifully and writes so in depth. I love it.

8. A Darker Shade of Magic

I LOVE VICTORIA SCHWAB. HOLY SCHNITZELS. Her writing is so fast-paced and fluid and addictive; Her plots so mind blowing; her characters so complex and detailed...I love this book so much. I’ve only read one book by her, but I have acquired some more of her novels recently, so I can’t wait to read them!

9. C.S. Lewis

This guy is amazing. He reveals theological truths in the most enlightening and beautiful of manners. He reveals core truths about Christianity and humanity that resonated within me. I love the way he writes and his intelligent perspective of things. YOU SHOULD READ HIS BOOKS.

10. Jeff Zentner

Why do I always love authors who break my heart? I don’t know, perhaps I’m a masochist. I absolutely LOVEEEE the way Jeff writes. His characters are so real and so complex and I can just relate to them all in small ways, and I feel like anyone who reads his books will find themselves in it, you know? I love how unflinchingly Jeff tackles difficult topics like depression, grief and abuse but he does it in a gentle, hopeful manner. I’m really excited to read more of his books but terrified too. 

Those are the top new to me authors of 2017! Have you read any books from these authors and what did you think? Who were your favourite new to you authors you read last year?